The 'Friends of Marcia Powell' are autonomous groups and individuals engaging in prisoner outreach, informal advocacy, and organized protest and direct actions in a sustained campaign to: promote prisoner rights and welfare in America; engage the Arizona public in a creative and thoughtful critique of our system of "justice;” deconstruct the prison industrial complex; and dismantle this racist, classist patriarchy...

Retiring "Free Marcia Powell"

As of December 2, 2010 (with occasional exceptions) I'm retiring this blog to direct more of my time and energy into prisoner rights and my other blogs; I just can't do anyone justice when spread so thin. I'll keep the site open so folks can search the archives and use the links, but won't be updating it with new posts. If you're looking for the latest, try Arizona Prison Watch. Most of the pieces posted here were cross-posted to one or both of those sites already.

Thanks for visiting. Peace out - Peg.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day: My Son's Birthday


My Son's Birthday
by Deanna Lynd

You came into the world fast and furious,
when I held you, you looked up at me with eyes wide and curious.
My heart changed in an instant.
For once my own childhood seemed so distant.
I vowed to do my best, to love and cherish you
and trust your father to do the rest.
From my arms you were taken
back to my cell I was sent
fifteen years will never compare to what losing you meant.
The ache in my heart is so deep,
not being beside you to watch you sleep.
I never knew your smell I could only pick up the telephone
and ask if you were doing well.
Months went by as I watched you grow
through photographs missing all the hugs, kisses,
the love and laughs.
I awaited my fate,
not yet knowing my release date. Time went by
you began to talk and walk on your own
I learned I would not be free until you are grown.
I try to remain strong and pay my debt.
It is an extravagant bill living each day
with the heartache I feel.
Sometimes I pray for death
then I look at a recent photograph
and I am reminded I owe you, if not myself
one more day, one more breath.
Deanna Lynd #Y24235 C1112 Lower
Homestead Correctional Institution
19000 SW 377th St. Suite #200
Florida City, FL 33034-6400
----------------------------------------

Women and Prison: A Site for Resistance
is a project of Beyondmedia Education.
Beyondmedia Education
4001 N. Ravenswood #204 C
Chicago, IL 60613
USA

tel: 773-857-7300
fax: 773-857-7301
info@womenandprison.org
www.beyondmedia.org

No comments: