The 'Friends of Marcia Powell' are autonomous groups and individuals engaging in prisoner outreach, informal advocacy, and organized protest and direct actions in a sustained campaign to: promote prisoner rights and welfare in America; engage the Arizona public in a creative and thoughtful critique of our system of "justice;” deconstruct the prison industrial complex; and dismantle this racist, classist patriarchy...

Retiring "Free Marcia Powell"

As of December 2, 2010 (with occasional exceptions) I'm retiring this blog to direct more of my time and energy into prisoner rights and my other blogs; I just can't do anyone justice when spread so thin. I'll keep the site open so folks can search the archives and use the links, but won't be updating it with new posts. If you're looking for the latest, try Arizona Prison Watch. Most of the pieces posted here were cross-posted to one or both of those sites already.

Thanks for visiting. Peace out - Peg.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Homecoming Parade and the Governor

Sorry these took so long to put up - I actually got myself out of bed Saturday and went to the parade - fortunately I wasn't alone at the head of it. Thanks Matt. I don't know who was down the line further on.

Once the Governor's car passed by I moved in right next to her, sign held high, and managed to walk about 50 yards with the procession before the long arm of the law reached me and steered me back into the crowd. The best image of this we don't have - it's the governor with Marcia Powell at her shoulder - my face isn't even visible. She's straining to keep her back to us as she smiles and waves and throws candy - pretending akwardly that Marcia isn't there, quietly insisting on hers and her sisters' safety and freedom.

That's the photographic image we need to chase every single politician running for office with - either they display openly their total disregard for human life, or they answer what they would do differently to change what happened to Marcia Powell -and what's happening to women in the "justice" system in this state every day.
Read Mona Lynch's book, by the way - Sunbelt Justice. It's all about what we're up against in Arizona - it's like a blueprint to the enemy's HQ - it tells how it was all built, and what the foundation is made of that it rests upon. I'm still working my way through it - drop me a line if you're looking at it too.


No comments: